Saturday, December 3, 2011

09/30-10/02/11 Caines Head Cabins


I try to plan trips to a public-use cabin a couple time a few times a year, and this year everyone wanted to go. There were eleven of us total! Enough people to rent two cabins. There aren't many places with two cabins near each other, but I thought the Derby Cove and Callisto Canyon Cabins would be close enough. That didn't turn out to be true. Oh, and it rained the whole time.

Access to the cabins is tidal, so those of us who hiked in had to get the the trailhead by 8pm to catch the low tide at 10. If we would have missed it we wouldn't have had any beach to walk on to get to the cabins. Cliffs rise above the beach limiting reasonable alternatives. Unfortunately the sun before we started hiking, so it was a hike in the dark. Again access can be difficult. Chris and I had been there before, so it wasn't a bad walk. Tonsina Creek (a necessary stream ford) was barely flowing, so we crossed it on a log.

 Shaun lighting the way.

 Chris crossing a log on Tonsina Creek.

The rest of the crew took a water taxi to the cabin, so they brought lots of cool stuff like beer, guitars, board games, and coolers. When the four of us arrived at Callisto Canyon Cabin we decided to stay at there the night and hang out with everyone. We may have been drinking. It was a bit cramped for 11 people, but we made it work. Chris even slept on the porch.

 Callisto Canyon Cabin

Since we rented two cabins Chris, Shaun, and I decided we should go visit the other one. One thing I didn't remember is that the route between cabins is tidal, so we had to time travel between them accordingly. We headed out a little after 11am to go to the Derby Cove Cabin. It only took 10 minutes to get there. I forgot my snack bag, so I had to go back again. The tide wasn't super low like the evening tide, so there wasn't a lot of wiggle room. A +3 tide during low pressure is marginal. We were hoping to check out Fort McGilvray that day, but the rain was pretty epic. Creeks were starting to pop out in new locations.

Heading to the Derby Cove Cabin.

Derby Cove Cabin

 Playing Settlers of Catan at the Callisto Canyon Cabin.

I wanted to head back to the other cabin at the next low tide around 11pm. The rain discouraged my cabin mates, so I headed back solo. The tide was low enough that I had at least 3 hours to walk over hang out and walk back. I stayed until my birthday song at midnight.


 ...And it rained...

The rain just kept coming down. The creek in front of the cabin was a 5 foot mellow stream when we arrived the day prior. The amount of water flowing was now incredible. The access trail to the beach was knee-deep in places. Water from the lagoon was also flowing out of the shale on the beach.

 Water exiting the lagoon.

 Derby Cove Cabin

The morning of our departure Chris, Shaun, and I were contemplating taking the water taxi back. The tide was a +3, and it was storming pretty hard. We weren't sure if we could get around the headlands safely. We ended up walking to the Callisto Canyon Cabin, but just barely. We walked through the surf in a couple places to get around some slimy rocks. We also had to ford a swift creek that had appeared within the last day. We were a little worried that Tonsina Creek would be swollen or impassable, so we chose the water-taxi option. After wind delays for a few hours we finally were able to board and float back to Lowell Point.

1 comment: